ODBC drivers provide an excellent way of communicating with a database, independent of any applications that normally 'own' the database, such as HireTrack NX. They can be used to simply READ data (i.e. not change it), or even WRITE to data (which obviously needs a good knowledge of how the database works). Gaining access to the data for READS can be useful for updating other applications or even generating web pages.
An ODBC driver for the NexusDB HireTrack server is available can be downloaded from HERE.
WARNING: database access using ODBC drivers requires a certain level of technical understanding and database updates not performed by HireTrack NX itself might result is data integrity failures; as such your standard support contract does not cover using the ODBC driver for HireTrack NX. If any WRITE access is required, Navigator Systems Ltd can offer a consultancy service; please email email@example.com for more information.
Steps to install:
- Run the NexusDB_ODBC_build100.exe file which will simply register the nx1OdbcDriver.dll driver with Windows.
- From your Windows, Control Panel, go to Administrative Tools, ODBC Data Sources (IMPORTANT: You must use the 32 bit ODBC data Sources Application. This can typically be found by navigating to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and then scroll down to odbcad32.exe)
- Go to the System DSN tab, then click the Add button to search for the NexusDB V3.10 ODCB Driver and select it. Click Finish. In the next screen, Server Settings, enter the following key settings:
DSN Name HireTrack DSN Transport TCP ServerName YourServerName@your.server.machine's.IPaddress, e.g NavigatorNX@192.168.0.7
you can find the name of your HireTrack NX server on the web portal's Server Engine section
Transport Port 16000 SQL Timeout 10000 User Name a user account on the NX Server, such as Administrator Password password for the above user name
- Click the Test Connection button to check all is OK. Click Next
- In the Database Name dropdown select the appropriate alias. Click the List Tables button to prove you have access to all of them.
- Click Finish complete the installation and configuration.
You should now be able to do something like load a table into Excel using the ODBC connection